Start a new topic

Re-Render Options

I've just built a template in Pro Tools based upon my previous 5.1 and 2.0 Broadcast delivery but starting in 7.1.4 (7.1.2 Bed + Objects) then downmixing to 7.1, 5.1 and 2.0.

So i have re-renders for 7.1, 5.1 and 2.0. I've also created 2.0 re-renders for stem object elements to combine back in pro tools with Bed stems (i.e. VO, Dial, Sync,FX, Atmos, Music)

so far so good.........

but i also need to entertain the concept of a separate DME mix (or mix minus narration). This should mirror the Main 7.1.4 Mix with it's subsequent re-renders to 7.1, 5.1 and 2.0. 

How can i create a separate (simultaneous) DME Atmos Mix and have it also re-render to 7.1. 5.1 and 2.0?

(The answer might be to do it in 2 runs?)

also i can only create 10 re-render options in Production Suite. Can i create more? (the above scenario creates 9 before DME 7.1, 5.1 and 2.0)

Hi Andrew,

The Renderer only lets you create 10 re-renders at a time.   No way to do more than that.  You can use multiple beds in Pro Tools and create/assign inputs to groups in the Renderer input page and output page.    You would then be able to output 7.1,5,1, 2.0 for both the full mix and the DME and 4 additional Stereo re-renders.    However if you need to master an .atmos full mix and DME .atmos you'd need to do this in two passes.    I can't see a way around that.   

Best,

Adam

Thanks Adam, i thought this might be the answer. I was just trying to create a '1 ring to rule them all.....' template as this is what i'm used to in 5.1 and 2.0.

so basically i could create a Mix Bed Send (inc. VO) and a DME Mix Bed Send (exc. VO) and just toggle for deliverables? 

Create 2 x 10 wide bed bus (Mix and DME) to renderer and just use PT mutes/activation to toggle.

admittedly i haven't even looked at a delivery spec for anything yet so this is just (educated) speculation.....

can we start sharing delivery spec's on this forum?

Hi Andrew,   

Yes.  You could also just create a dialog bed (that could be narrower than 10 channels) and corresponding send and mute that if you needed to create a .atmos DME.

I'm not sure why a spec would call for mastering .atmos DME but there may be a workflow for this.   Fullmix 7.1, 5.1, and 2.0  and separate M/E 7.1, 5.1, and 2.0  makes sense  to facilitate channel-based multi-language work.    

For a delivery spec that calls for .atmos in more than one language from a Pro Tools session with multiple languages you'd have to do multiple passes.    If this were to be done at another facility,  the fullmix .atmos could be converted to ADM BWF with the Dolby Atmos Conversion Tool (available with the Mastering Suite) and the result imported into Pro Tools 12.8x and another language added.

I'm wary of having confidential delivery specs posted on the forum.   This might be problematic.

The Netflix deliverables for Atmos are posted online, so could be a useful example for this discussion:

https://backlothelp.netflix.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001539991-Netflix-Dolby-Atmos-Home-Mix-Deliverable-Requirements-v1-8

So if I understand their deliverables correctly, you would deliver these as separate Atmos BWAV ADM Files:

-Full Mix

-Mix minus Narration

-M&E

-Dialog

-Music 

-Effects

-Narration

And they make it sound like we only need one version of each of these files:

.atmos file

.audio file 

.metadata file

Does that sound right?  Do we have to record separate passes for each Atmos BWAV ADM File?

Login to post a comment