Start a new topic

Routing the Renderer's Send Plug-In to its Respective Renderer Send Channel

I'm currently studying Music Technology at New York University. As part of an Independent Study, I've been exploring the use of sound spatialisation as a narrative device when working with an object-based immersive surround sound format. For this work, I'm using Dolby Atmos. I decided to create my own Pro Tools session for Dolby Atmos instead of using one of the supplied templates. When creating the session, I'm unable to route the Renderer's Send plug-in to its respective Renderer send channel. Every time I click on the send channel it returns to None. How can I go about resolving this issue?

Scott

Example attached.   This could be a 5.1, 7.1, or 7.1.2 bed starting at input 19.

Hi Scott,

Routing the to the Renderer LFE bed channel needs to be assigned to Renderer input 4.    This is entirely within Pro Tools.  The return from the Renderer could be assigned to what ever output from you I/O that you wanted.   You'd just take the Renderer return back into Mono aux tracks to easily route to the output of your choice.    If you really mean the input then you just need to create a new bed 5.1 or 7.1.2  bed starting at input 19 which would place the LFE at input 22..   In the input page of the Renderer you can edit the assignments and create another bed and save.   Note that you cannot make modifications to the input page with a Master Files set.

In your Pro Tools session you can create a new buss to feed the second bed and use this as you see fit. With it being used just for the LFE or in addition to the first bed.    It makes the input order layout a bit weird but you'd still have plenty of available inputs for objects.    Hope this helps.

Best,  

Adam

Hello Adam,

I hope all is well. I've been successfully mixing and recording automation for Dolby Atmos. The only issue I'm having now is the LFE channel in the research lab at NYU has to be assigned to input 22. Because of this limitation, I'm unable to assign the LFE channel to one of the first 10 inputs, which as you know are reserved for beds. What is the most efficient way to work with the limitation of having to assign the LFE channel to input 22?

Best,

Scott 

Hello Adam,

I've decided to use the native Pro Tools panner for mixing in Dolby Atmos. When recording panner automation with this plug-in, what should the input for the audio track and the input and output for the return track be set to? 

Best,

Scott

Hello Adam,

Thanks for your input. This is definitely helpful.

Best,

Scott

Hi Scott,   If you want to mix and match mono and stereo objects your can set your I/O up with stereo paths and map the mono subpaths to objects.   In your session a stereo track is assigned to the stereo bus that has the mono subpaths maps to two objects.  The aux tracks with the Renderer Send can still be mono.    A couple of example screen grabs attached.   Hope this helps.  

Adam

Hi Scott,   The two mono paths need to be individually mapped to objects in the I/O bus tab.    If running Pro Tools 12.8 and up there is really no reason to use the Dolby Atmos Panner at all as this can all be done natively in Pro Tools with pan vs Dolby Panner Plug-in automation.    I'm out the door today but I will get some grabs posted tomorrrow.   Best, Adam

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your response. I'm using the latest version of Pro Tools, so I'll be able to work with native 7.1.2 tracks. 

When I attempted to change a mono object track to a stereo object track, I did create a stereo bus in the I/O with two mono subpaths. I was able to successfully create a stereo track, but was unable to change the position of the object with the Dolby Atmos Panner. As I moved the pan location cursor, the placement of the object in the room did not move with it. After reading your response, I began to wonder if the mono subpaths not being mapped to an individual object is what caused this problem? When creating a stereo bus in the I/O with two mono subpaths, are the mono subpaths automatically mapped to an individual object? I was also wondering if I need to configure my inputs in the Render to specify stereo object tracks? If you could upload some screen grabs with your response, that would be great.

Best,

Scott

Hi Scott,

If you want to build this yourself unlink the channels in the 7.1 Aux track with Dolby Renderer Send plug-in and manually assigned the sends: L=Send 1, C=Send 3, R=Send 2, Lss=Send 5, Rss=Send 6, Lsr=Send 7, Rsr=Send 8, Lfe= Send 4.    Note that with Pro Tools 12.8 and above this can be done with native 7.1.2 tracks eliminating the need for a separate stereo send for the overheads.   In this case Lts= Send 9 and Rts=Send 10.   The input to the Aux tracked being the 7.1.2 buss.  As long you create a 7.1.2 buss in your I/O with "auto-create subpaths" you will still be able to use smaller channel widths in your Pro Tools session as needed.

To create stereo object tracks you can similarly create stereo busses in the I/O with two mono subpaths each of which is mapped to an individual object.   In your session the a stereo track has the object assignment to the stereo bus.   Similar to the above either a stereo aux track with the Dolby Atmos Send Plugin can be used with input as the stereo buss or two mono aux tracks can be used with the mono left and right sub path as the track input.

I hope this helps.    I can upload some screen grabs if needed.

Best,

Adam

Hello Adam,

The channels being linked is what caused the problem. When I unlinked channels, I was able to route them. However, when routing the 7.1 Bed Send, the routing was not automatically set for Send 1 to Send 8 as outlined on page 32 of the Dolby Atmos Production Suite Guide. Is that to be expected? I referenced one of the templates supplied by Dolby, but was unable to determine what I had done wrong. I also noticed that the template was markedly different from the session I was creating even though I was using the steps outlined on pages 30-34 of the Dolby Atmos Production Suite Guide. Is there another guide that illustrates how to create a session that’s more similar to one of the Dolby templates?

In regard to using one of the templates supplied by Dolby as a starting point, I have experimented with using one of them to mix. While I had some success doing so, I did have some difficulty customizing it to meet my needs. Specifically, I was unable to successfully change mono object tracks to stereo object tracks. How could I go about doing this?

Best,

Scott

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your input. I'm running into this problem when routing the send plugin from multi-channel tracks for the bed sends and object stereo tracks. When I'm working in the research lab this Saturday, I'll find out if the channels being linked is what's causing the problem.

Scott 

Hi Scott,   Sounds like a cool project.    Are you trying to create a session from scratch?  At the expense of the obvious it might be good to use a template as a starting point.    Are you running into this when routing the send plugin from mono tracks or mutl-channel tracks for the bed sends?   If multichannel make sure to unlink the channels so that you can route them individually in the correct channel order.  

Adam

Login to post a comment