Start a new topic
Answered

Audio not coming back into protools from Renderer

Hi all,

Today the office I'm working in is attempting to encode a mix for a client but when attempting to listen back the LS bed track is not playing back. As far as we can see our routing is set up correctly, and the Renderer is showing that the audio is going into the Renderer. I've attached the protools session below, if anyone has any insight as to what it might be.

Thanks,

Josh

ptx

Best Answer

Does the LS visibly meter in the Aux Track with the Renderer Return Plugin if you play audio or just insert a signal generator on the audio track with the Send Plugin going to renderer input 7?    If you can see the signal meter back into Pro Tools than the problem is downstream.   If you can't see it meter in the Pro Tools Aux Track but can see it in the Renderer meters than it would likely be an issue in the Renderer routing page.   Hope this helps.

Hi Josh,   It looks like your returns are routed sequentially in the Dolby Renderer Return plug in but the Pro Tools MADI outputs are not and outputs 7, 9, 10  are skipped.   Aux Track LSS Return is Speaker Channel 5 but output to MADI 8.   Aux Track LS is Speaker Channel 7 but output to MADI 5.    Aux Track RSS Return is Speaker Channel 6 but MADI 11.  Again nothing is output to 7, 9, or 10 so I'd look at your Pro Tools outputs.     Best,  Adam

Hey Adam,

The outputs are numbered in that way because that is how the speaker configuration was set up when the theater was designed. I'm now realizing I did not specify which channel was causing the issue, I apologize for that as it must have caused some confusion. The channel that is causing the issue is the LS channel, going out send #7 coming in Return #7 and out MADI 5.

Another thought, are you telling me that the protools channel out put ex. MADI 5 would have to match with the speaker return from the renderer in a chain? Ex. send 5 to speaker channel 5 to MADI 5? I'm aware that the send and return must match but if the MADI output must also be the same that would be a convenient fix.

Thanks,
Josh

Hi Josh,   How you map your MADI outputs to speakers is entirely up to you.   The track outputs don't need to match the Renderer Return Speaker assignments though it might make life less confusing.    The Renderer Return Speaker assignments do need to match the routing as set in the bottom pane of Global Settings for Physical Outputs in the Renderer App Room settings example attached.   If these aren't set as expected this could be problematic.    Adam

Hey Adam,

Is there any reason that could cause only 1 channel to not play properly? All other outputs are playing back as they should, which is why we are confused that only the Left Surround channel is not playing back.

Thanks,
Josh

Not that I can think of.   I'd try troubleshooting downstream.   Can you route other channels to that MADI output and light up that speaker etc.?

Yes, so far I have been able to route the entire front wall respectively through the  MADI 5 output.

Answer

Does the LS visibly meter in the Aux Track with the Renderer Return Plugin if you play audio or just insert a signal generator on the audio track with the Send Plugin going to renderer input 7?    If you can see the signal meter back into Pro Tools than the problem is downstream.   If you can't see it meter in the Pro Tools Aux Track but can see it in the Renderer meters than it would likely be an issue in the Renderer routing page.   Hope this helps.

1 person likes this
I cannot see the meter return in Protools, but it is visable in the Renderer App. I will do some digging around to see if I can figure out the issue further.

Thanks,
Josh

After stepping away for 20 minutes I was able to see that the routing in the Renderer was in fact wrong.

Thanks for all the help!

Josh

Hi Josh

what routing did you discover please share with me I also have same problem.

I appreciate

Thanks

Kamal

When I open a Renderer  App I can see menu on top but I can't see actual App. but Monitor App is working perfectly. any suggestions?

Thanks

Kamal

Hey Kamal, The issue I had was in the "Room" tab of the renderer app, the left surround channel was being routed to output 5 and it had to be 7, for what ever reason when it was set up the person doing that thought to route to the physical output rather than the speaker return in protools. Sorry not sure if that will help with your issue. Thanks, Josh
Login to post a comment