Start a new topic

Atmos MXF mux to mp4

Our studio just finished doing an Atmos mix for a mobile company client. The MXF is to be sent to dolby for checking and once it's been approved we'll also be doing a DCP for the project, as well as an mp4 with atmos sound to be played using an atmos soundbar. Our dolby contact pointed us to Avid Atmos production suite and the dolby media producer suite, both of which we have already bought. 

I just want to know how to go about the workflow here once the MXF has been approved. I assume we then pass it through the dolby media production suite to have Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus and then Mux it to mp4. 

I would also like to what to use for muxing the audio into mp4. What do you guys use? 

The Dolby Media Producer Suite doesn't ingest .mxf.  It only ingests .atmos file sets.    For a properly signaled mp4 you could use Dolby Media Generator.   You can request an eval copy of this dmg-support@dolby.com.   

Thank you for responding. I'll request an eval copy right away. For the atmos file sets, im guessing this comes from the avid atmos production suite from protools?

Hi,  Yes when mastering with the Dolby Atmos Production Suite or  using the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite in conjunction with an RMU the master files created are a set of three files:   filename.atmos,  filename.atmos.metadata, filename.atmos.audio.

The filename.atmos is the input for encoding to Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos Content of Dolby TrueHD when using Dolby Media Producer.

Thanks for the info! I will update you, and hope I can contact you again via this thread if any more questions arise in the next few days

Hello again, I'd like to ask if it's possible to encode the atmos file sets using a different pro tools system other than the one the original project was mixed in. I'm asking because the machine connected to the RMU is osx 10.9, ProTools 12. Which is one version short of what the avid atmos plugin requires (osx 10.10)

The atmos plugin is installed on a protools ultimate 2018, imac high sierra, 7.1 studio config. Is it possible to feed it the mxf and then render the atmos filesets from there?

Hi,  Pro Tools does not perform the encoding of the .atmos file set.  Dolby Media Producer is used for this.

If you need to get back into Pro Tools from the MXF you'll need to use the Dolby Atmos Conversion Tool to convert from MXF to ADM BWF which can be imported into Pro Tools 12.8 and above which has native Atmos panning.    The same conversion tool can be use to derive .atmos from the MXF for encoding.   If you are taking the audio back into Pro Tools via ADM BWF import you can remaster using the Atmos Mastering Suite or the Atmos Production Suite to create .atmos.    Hope this helps.

Hi,

I also wanted to clarify that you can mux Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos Content (DDPlus JOC) in .mp4 with DMG and an opensource version of the mp4muxer on github but there is no way to mux Dolby TrueHD in .mp4 that I'm aware of.   Thanks

Hi,

sorry it took so long to reply. Dolby just sent us back the approved MXF. after reading through your post, This is going to be our planned approach (please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. We use dolby atmos conversion tool to derive atmos fileset from the MXF. 

2. We feed atmos fileset to dolby media producer to acquire DolbyDigitalPlus/Dolby TrueHD

(quick question) is .ec3 the file extension for DolbyDigitalPlus? 

3. I then mux said .ec3 to our mp4 file. 

Note: I have actually tried the mp4muxer from github and it works so far, so long as I can produce an .ec3 atmos file from the steps above

Hi there.   That approach looks good.  Yes.  .ec3 is the file extension for both Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos Content.  Best,  Adam

Thanks adam, will update you on our progress. Can you provide pricing document for dolby media producer? Regards, Rayjohn

Hi adam, I can't seem to find the dolby atmos conversion tool. isn't this part of the avid atmos production suite? thanks

Hi Rayjohn,   The Dolby Atmos Conversion Tool is currently part of the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite.   It can be provided separately and will be publicly available in the future to Production Suite Users via this developer site.   In the interim I'll email you download links directly.   It is probably best to get pricing on the Dolby Media Producer Suite directly from dealers in your region.   I've attached a dealer list.

pdf
Thank you, adam! You've been a huge help. We're actually in contact with goldenduck right now to provide dmp suite. I'll wait for your email with the download link, just to be sure can you pls cc tagayonrj@gmail.com
Hi adam, we're still waiting on goldenduck's response. Dont know whats taking so long, in the mean time our client is asking for a .ts atmos file. Audio only, to be ingested to their soundbar. Is this possible with the mxf and .atmos files we have?
Login to post a comment