Start a new topic

Compatibility of Atmos for Headphones with applications supporting traditional surround sound only?

I understand that Dolby Atmos for Headphones uses an object based audio codec to work, which requires application support. However, I'm wondering if there is any way to enable the 'reverse engineering' of audio object information from the output of a traditional 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound compatible application. Does anyone have experience with this issue?

1 Comment

Hi.   An Atmos decoder in a consumer device does recreate the number of elements that were clustered together during the spatial coding process of the encode.    The object audio renderer then renders to listeners environment which could include a binaural headphone experience.   There is no way to take a binaural render and get the discreet channels back out.   I'm not sure why you'd want to do this.     Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos is already a backwards compatible 5.1 channel encode and can be decoded to 7.1 on systems with Pro Logic IIx.

Adam

Login to post a comment