Start a new topic

7.1.4 mixing with parallel overheads

Hi, I'm from Mumbai, India and we have built a new 7.1.4 HE mix room with Protools 2018.12 ultimate and Qsc passive speakers and amps for near field atmos mix. I have been playing around with Protools and Dolby atmos production suite and have noticed that even though Protools allows max 7.1.2 as beds (ltf and ltr being a stereo pair and rtf and rtr being a stereo pair), the Production suite allows 7.1.4 mixing with 7.1.2 bed renders and moving sound individually in the 4 overheads. In my setup, the ltf and ltr are setup in a parallel mode in their amp so any sound fed to one of them, plays in both speakers. Similarly for rtf and rtr. In Protools io setup bus page, i have changed the default Atmos template quad overhead assignment to stereo. To be able to pan a Sound in the overheads and use all 4 speakers individually, should i remove the parallel mode in the overhead speaker amps? If i do that then my 7.1.2 beds will only play from 2 overheads - ltf and rtf or ltr and rtr. Please help on how I can use stereo overheads in the bed while also maintaining individuality when moving objects. Regards Rigveda

Someone from Dolby can comment with more expertise, but in my opinion, you should wire those (4) ceiling speakers separately. Standard Pro Tools bed panning is sort of vague-sounding, so if you really want precise locations on the ceiling, you will want to be in object mode, which can address those speakers separately.

Thanks for suggestion
Thanks @reichman. I had posted same query under Mastering Suite forum and Dolby person replied and addressed my queries quite well. I have changed my speaker wiring settings to make them individual.

1 person likes this

thanksĀ 

Login to post a comment