Start a new topic
Answered

Audio objects that are mixed thru Binaural Dolby Atmos for headphone mixing , delicately done for a listener's frontal hemisphere \ front imaging of recorded music band are perceived to be shifted and confined to listener's rear hemisphere \ rear imaging

HI ,

I am a student as well as a content creator at an institutional level for our short films. I Ever since i was been introduced to Dolby Atmos technology, i started  my working on my old AAC 2.0 @ 16bit 48khz projects to remix them and produce master in 5.1.4 e-ac3+Atmos @ 16bit 96khz . For this purpose i learnt and used avid pro tools under my uncle's guidance and it did work well but those all of them were home theater mixes . But  recently i started to work on binaural heaphone mixing for the same content with a dolby atmos music panner vst3 plugin on a adobe audition for a 7.1.4 binaural dolby atmos for headphones output. As i observed , im facing minor issues with this type of mixing though overall output sounding wide with overhead sensation.

The problem is as i pan objects towards front side of the cubic room illustration , they will never be heard that way as intended or in other words , after monitoring my mix on a win 10, 1906 version pc with dolby atmos for headphones decoding in use....they all appear to be behind + above the listener only but not in the  front + front height experience... For this purpose i started experimenting this of my discovery by moving some audio objects in a circular fashion with fixed co ordinates in height axis and then outputting the test file. So technically those audio objects will be heard as coming from those 4 height channels right.... but it seems the output is only like a hemisphere experience i.e it is perceived as rear height surround + rear surround via my dolby atmos for headphones consumer"s decoder via dolby access app in win 10 pc.I usually mix on a mac workstation.

So is this any a limitation kept for headphone experiences unlike home theater ones..? or something else gone wrong with my mix?

Best Answer

There are quite a few variables at play here. The frequency composition and intermittancy of content can have a large effect on the perception of spatial position.  What binaural settings are you using for each object? You may notice a difference when varying these. Additionally, the renderer uses a "generic" head model that some listeners find more effective and convincing than others. This is something we are working on improving. Do you find the the binaural renders more convincing than your test output files? The EQ profiles of headphones also have bearing on spatial perception. Have you tried monitoring your mix with headphones with similar response to the target headphones?

Hi There - Have you checked out our knowledge base for topics on creating mixes that translate on both headphones and loudspeakers? 

https://developerkb.dolby.com/support/solutions/folders/16000093501

There are considerations you should make during your mix to account for reproduction in both environments. We recommend that you incorporate both headphones and loudspeakers into your mixing workflow from the beginning.

Hi, i have gone through https://developerkb.dolby.com/support/solutions/folders/16000093501 and understood the concept . But my doubt here is only regarding headphone mixing . I have delivered loudspeaker mixes and they did work well. My doubt here is whiling mixing for Dolby Atmos for headphones though i am using Berodynamic DT 1990 pro for monitoring , I am not getting any "Front Sound Stage" regardless of whatever automations i have done with the audio objects. I also have taken care not send any audio objects to the phantom center , as it is known fact that binaural virtualization at that point is null. So i tried as much as i can by automating audio objects to the extreme front right and extreme left in the given "Cubic Illustration" of the Dolby Atmos music panner plugin. Despite my efforts they always seem to sound like "Behind my head and Above my head" in the final output binaural render files . After mixing in the software, i export those files and listen them with a normal low budget consumer earphones by enabling Dolby Atmos of headphones within Dolby Access app on a windows 10, 1909 test PC for mimicking  consumer experiences. What i sense then is , all of my automations will sound like "Behind my head then Above my head and a right to left pan" but actually it is intended to sound like "Infront of my head and above my head ". Can u please help me , Am i missing something? 

The automation given is like "starts in front of my head - goes to the front right and then to the front left - exites up above my head - ends by descending behind my head. I always output files in e-AC-3.Atmos 5.1.4 binaural headphone format . 

Answer

There are quite a few variables at play here. The frequency composition and intermittancy of content can have a large effect on the perception of spatial position.  What binaural settings are you using for each object? You may notice a difference when varying these. Additionally, the renderer uses a "generic" head model that some listeners find more effective and convincing than others. This is something we are working on improving. Do you find the the binaural renders more convincing than your test output files? The EQ profiles of headphones also have bearing on spatial perception. Have you tried monitoring your mix with headphones with similar response to the target headphones?

Login to post a comment