Start a new topic

About object size

I'm wondering just how the size parameter affects distribution to the speakers adjacent to the assigned speaker for an object.  Even with decorrelation, in a small room it doesn't seem to make sense to put any signal into an adjacent channel unless the size is quite large.  At the same time, it does make sense to widen the signal in a space that has a larger complement of speakers, since those speakers will be relatively closer to one another.  Is that what's actually happening?

And I wonder if anyone can say anything about the nature of the decorrelation.  The only method that makes sense to me is to have an allpass or two in the path.  Anybody know what's actually going on?

Thanks Fin.  We'll talk a little more on a back channel.  My specific interest in this question is for music mixing, which is most likely to be played in small listening spaces.  I still want things to translate well in a large room, but don't want to do things there that might adversely affect the small room sound.  This has very much to do with how many speaker cones a large object might appear on.

1 person likes this

Hi Micheal, 

The Atmos format is speaker layout agnostic and therefore, size and decorrelation is designed to work independently of the speakers density.

Login to post a comment