Start a new topic

Dolby Atmos Renderer - Rerenders adding short silence at end of file?

We are using the Dolby Atmos Renderer to generate loopable ambient content for video games, and I noticed that it seems like a short silence is being added to the end of the WAV files in both Stereo and 7.1.4 (and probably the others) - which means that I need to edit these ambiences in post before they would be loopable in game.

See the attached image for details.

Hello Dale! Is the Renderer Timecode-Synced to your Audio Workstation? Can you try to use the function “set record in / out” to make sure that your recorded master is exactly in the desired length of the loop? The function is located next to the transport controls in the upper section of the renderer App). Thanks, David

Also note that it will only work in whole frames.  In 24fps mode, that's 2000 samples per frame.  if you try to create a 201654 sample loop, it will get rounded up to 202000 samples.

From a game design point of view that doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's essential for a film tool.  to avoid this problem, try working in a film grid mode for editing and you will avoid the round off errors

Edit: more specifically, 2000 samples per frame in 24frames 48k mode.  It will be different math in 44.1.  The important part is to edit to a film grid and make sure the renderer matches that frame rate.

Thanks David and Chris!  The file was generated after the first record of the master file - I did not use any punch in/out markers.  I know that DAPS was developed for film editors, so it makes sense that it works first in that world.  However, I think the workflow issue for game audio professionals is that we are not familiar with film editing procedures and so there is some education I need to have on my part to understand the perspective that DAPS takes.  Maybe DAPS needs a "Game Audio" mode :)

Hello Dale!

Dolby Atmos is supported in games, and was included in 30+ A-list titles already.

Just the usual workflow for Game Audio Dolby Atmos doesn´t involve DAPS, but rather working directly in the game engine.

Here´s an interesting article to "get started" on the subject:

http://developer.dolby.com/go/wwiseue4

Thanks, David!

Login to post a comment