Start a new topic

How to obtain Dolby Media Producer Suite?

Hi!

I work at an educational institution, teaching audio production to students. We have a 5.1.2 Atmos rig (Dolby Atmos Production Suite) with Avid S6 and Avid MTRX, running Pro Tools on HDX with the latest Mac Mini in a Sonnet chassis.

We understand that in order to encode Dolby Digital Plus for Atmos, we need the Dolby Media Producer Suite. How can we obtain the license for that? Do we purchase it directly from Dolby? What is the price?

Also, we own a license for Dolby Media Encoder SE, purchased in 2013. Is there an upgrade route from that license to Media Producer Suite? 

Lastly, can the latest Dolby Media Encoder be purchased seperately? If so, what does that cost? And is there an upgrade route from Media Encoder SE?

Thanks in advance.

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

Dolby Media Producer Suite has been deprecated in favor of the Dolby Media Encoder which is available from Dolby resellers for USD$400/year on a subscription model.    Owners of the current Dolby Media Producer Suite are grandfathered in with a two year license but I'm afraid this doesn't apply to Dolby Media Encoder SE which was deprecated quite a long time ago.   

Be aware that the Dolby Production Suite can already encode Dolby Digital Plus JOC but wraps it in an MP4 container.   The .ec3 file can be extracted using the command line MP4 demuxer.   An article on how to do that is here:

https://developerkb.dolby.com/support/solutions/articles/16000100319-can-i-put-my-own-video-into-the-mp4-file-instead-of-black-

V3.5 of the Renderer provides for encoding with the Music Lite DRC profile at 768kbps and the Film Light DRC profile at 448 or 768kbps.   If these options are sufficient for your needs you can use the MP4 demuxer and avoid purchasing the Dolby Media Encoder.

If however, you need more encoding options, want to use a UI, and importantly need to encode Dolby TrueHD for Blu-Ray authoring then Dolby Media Encoder is the only option.   A list of Dolby resellers for the Dolby Media Encoder is here:

https://professional.dolby.com/content-creation/Dolby-Professional-Solutions-Resellers/

Best,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the swift reply!

I did not know that the Renderer itself can export to .mp4 with an embedded ec3 file. I'll have to try this out. I have spent most of my time learning how to mix, and haven't gotten around to trying out the delivery chain. 

In our studio we have a control room for mixing in Atmos, and then we have a separate room set up as a living room environment, with a consumer level 7.1.4 Atmos home setup. So our main use case is to be able to deliver mixes in DD+ to play back on the consumer system. We also want our students to be able to mux audio and video for delivery online. I suspect that the Film Light DRC profile should be fine for both cases. I will do some tests and get back to you.

However, it is good to know that we can subscribe to the Dolby Media Encoder if we need to.

Thanks again!

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

The MP4 export is provide for QC on consumer gear.   The video will be black.   The article link above provides the steps needed to replace the video elementary stream.   The easiest way to play the mp4 file is put on a USB drive and connect to a suitable Blu-Ray player that has the audio output set to bitstream out and connect via HDMI to an AVR or Soundbar.  

Hope this helps.

Best,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank you! It's very cool that you offer this functionality. The Dolby Atmos Production Suite is well worth the cash.

I'll make some tests and see how it works.

Sebastian

Login to post a comment